This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO 61 NE MITCHELDEAN ABENHALL
6/143 Church of St. Michael and All Angels (formerly listed as Church of St. Michael) 23.9.55
parish Church; C14, C15, 1749, restored 1875. Large, well- squared grey stone to tower, squared, coursed red stone to south aisle and porch, cream ashlar to window, grey dressings to porch; less well-squared grey and red stone to chancel with larger quoins, tiled roof, stone slates to tower. Nave, south aisle, west tower, south porch, chancel and organ chamber. Tower in 2 stages, plain plinth, diagonally-set west buttresses, blocked west door with 4- centred arch; above arms of Free Miners, renewed 1982, and 2-light Perpendicular window, no hoodmould. In upper stage square-headed single-light window with stone louvres. Plain parapet, 2 plain gargoyles, corners raised slightly: pyramid roof with access dormer on east. South face: plain except for half-octagonal stair turret with stone top below level of parapet. South aisle plain plinth: one 2-light window on right, renewed in C19, trefoil heads with trefoil over, no hoodmould. on left porch, plain, round-headed doorway with wrought-iron gate, plain projecting kneelers, gable copings, as also to aisle. Chancel plinth set higher than aisle: south window 2 lancets side by side. Nave and chancel roof continuous, parapet gable to chancel. Chancel north window 2-light, with quatrefoil over, no hoodmould.
Internally, nave arcade is two-and-a-half bays, C15, octagonal piers with plain, moulded caps and chamfered bases. Collar trusses with short king-posts in south aisle, exposed collar rafter roof in nave with angle struts, chancel same but without struts. Walls plastered, some stone paving. A little C15 glass in head of north chancel window. Octagonal C15 font, quatrefoil panelling around top, with shields carved on tapered stem. Polygonal stone pulpit, probably 1875, carved with symbols of 4 evangelists. Pyrke brass in chancel floor, 1609, fine 1715 Pyrke memorial on south chancel wall: other, late C18 and C19 wall monuments. South aisle and porch rebuilt 1749, church restored 1875, when organ chamber probably added (S. Rudder, A New History: of Gloucestershire, 1779, p210; Morris's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1876).
Listing NGR: SO6713217429