This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ3104SW SHIP STREET 577-1/64/846 (East side) 11/04/95 Friends' Meeting House and the Cottage
Friends' meeting house. 1805, extended 1850 and 1876. The following will describe the complex in chronological order of construction. First, to the south, the cottage: brick in Flemish bond, flint, and stucco-cement dressings. Roof of slate. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys over basement. 2-window range. Round-arched entrance to right with fanlight of decorative glazing. The single window to the left and the first-floor windows are segmental arched with gauged brick lintels; the second-floor windows are flat arched. All have projecting sills. The window range above the entrance is blocked; the other windows have sashes of an original design: 6 x 6, 3 x 6 and 3 x 3 from ground to second floor respectively. While nothing in the design suggests that the earliest section was built as a meeting house, the first extension to the north, built in 1850, bears all the hallmarks of nonconformist architecture. 2 storeys over basement. 3-window range. Same materials as above. Gable-facing roof is finished as a pediment with its raking cornice that continues around the returns. The elevation below is symmetrically arranged. 2 segmental-arched entrances set under a single-storey enclosed porch, rectangular in plan. The porch entered by a 2 bay arcade of round, diaphragm arches supported on Tuscan pilasters; the entablature above returns and continues across the front wall. Over the entrance to the porch, incised on the frieze of the entablature is the legend: Friends' Meeting House. In the front wall to either side of the porch is one flat-arched window with projecting sill. The first-floor windows are round arched and tied together by a sill band and a dentil-cornice springing band; the window heads have architraves. Each window is rebated and has a panelled spandrel beneath the sill. Mouldings on front wall have a short return. Headers in the left-return wall are burned bricks. On this return, near the corner, is a single-storey entrance porch with segmental-arched entrances. This may be contemporary with the 1876 extension, which is set well back from the 1850 hall. 2 storeys and a 4-window range. Design and materials resemble the 1850 hall. The windows are paired and set back from the plain of the front wall. Constructed to provide education rooms and dormitory space, and now serving as an adult-education centre. It is included here for its group value. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 115R).
Listing NGR: TQ3103504126
© Mr Glyn Edmunds . Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Edmunds, Glyn
Rights Holder: Edmunds, Glyn