Colnpen long barrow
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1003315
Date first listed: 30-Aug-1922
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003315 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 00:43:19.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish: Coln St. Dennis
National Grid Reference: SP 06784 08372
Long barrow 420m north west of Colnpen Barn.
Reasons for Designation
Long barrows were constructed as earthen or drystone mounds with flanking ditches and acted as funerary monuments during the Early and Middle Neolithic periods (3400-2400 BC). They represent the burial places of Britain's early farming communities and, as such, are amongst the oldest field monuments surviving visibly in the present landscape. Where investigated, long barrows appear to have been used for communal burial, often with only parts of the human remains having been selected for interment. Certain sites provide evidence for several phases of funerary monument preceding the barrow and, consequently, it is probable that long barrows acted as important ritual sites for local communities over a considerable period of time. Some 500 examples of long barrows and long cairns, their counterparts in the uplands, are recorded nationally. As one of the few types of Neolithic structure to survive as earthworks, and due to their comparative rarity, their considerable age and their longevity as a monument type, all long barrows are considered to be nationally important.
The long barrow 420m north west of Colnpen Barn survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity, territorial significance, social organisation, funerary and ritual practices and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 7 July 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a long barrow situated on the upper north west facing slopes of a wide ridge overlooking the valley of the River Coln. The long barrow survives as a rectangular mound measuring up to 76m long, 20m wide and 2.7m high with its side ditches preserved as entirely buried features. Orthostats reportedly visible in the 1940’s are no longer evident.
Other archaeological remains in the vicinity are the subject of separate schedulings.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: GC 9
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing