Two round barrows on Shortstone Moor
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1004618
Date first listed: 05-Mar-1958
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004618 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:23:16.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SS 26505 17168, SS 26664 17147
Two bowl barrows, 155m north and 200m north east of West View.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite some reduction to the heights of the mounds through cultivation, the two bowl barrows 155m north and 200m north east of West View survive well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, longevity, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, funerary and ritual practices and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 3 December 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument, which falls into two areas, includes two bowl barrows situated on the summit of a ridge overlooking the source of the River Tamar. The two barrows survive as circular mounds with their individual surrounding quarry ditches, from which mound construction material was derived, being preserved as buried features. The western mound measures 24m in diameter and up to 0.8m high and the eastern mound is approximately 33m in diameter and 1.6m high. Further archaeological remains in the vicinity are not included because they have not been formally assessed.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: CO 465
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:-32047 and 32050
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing