Home Farm Bridge, Hurst Green
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1005928
Date first listed: 03-Feb-1951
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005928 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:29:11.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Tandridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TQ 39613 51138
Home Farm Bridge, 290m south-east of Tanhouse Farm, Hurst Green.
Reasons for Designation
Medieval and early post-medieval single span bridges are structures designed to carry a road or track over a river by means of a single arch, typically 3m-6m in span. They were constructed throughout the medieval period, most commonly using timber. Stone began to be used instead of timber in the 12th century and became increasingly common in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Many medieval bridges were repaired, modified or extensively rebuilt in the post-medieval period.
Home Farm Bridge is a well preserved 17th century single span bridge, despite later brick additions. Its significance is enhanced by its association with Tanhouse Farm, which provides an insight into the spatial organization of the area in the post-medieval period. Deposits preserved underneath the bridge will contain valuable artefactual, ecofactual and environmental evidence, shedding light on the human and natural history of the site prior to the construction of the bridge.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 24 November 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a 17th century single span bridge across Oxted stream, situated upstream from its confluence with the River Eden. The bridge comprises one arch and has an arched saddle with the height of the parapets varying between 1.3m in the middle of the bridge and 0.3m at the terminals. The road surface between the parapets measures about 3m wide. The bridge is constructed of Reigate and Kentish Ragstone. The inner arch was reinforced with bricks at a later stage. According to local knowledge the bridge was built around 1640, when the adjacent Home Farm was constructed as a subsidiary building to Tanhouse Farm.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: SU 112
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
Surrey HER 3742.
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing