Moated site and fishpond east of Lashley Hall
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007835 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2019 at 20:34:55.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Uttlesford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 64858 26197
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moat at Lashley Hall remains largely undisturbed and as such will retain archaeological information pertaining to the occupation of the site. The water-filled ditches will retain environmental evidence relating to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.
The monument includes a moated site and fishpond situated on an east-facing
slope, 50m east of Lashley Hall and 1km south-east of Lindsell church. The
moated site is stirrup-shaped and measures 80m east-west by a maximum of 75m
north-south. The arms are water-filled and are between 5m and 10m wide. The
causeway to the island is situated on the western arm of the moat and was
formerly 32m wide. Most of this causeway has been excavated by the owner in
recent years leaving a causeway 4.5m wide. The original house at Lashley Hall
is thought to have stood on the eastern part of the island.
A fishpond, which is dry and irregular in shape, is situated 12m east of the
moated site. It measures 26m north-south by a maximum of 22m east-west.
The site is mentioned as early as 1086 as Lacheleybroke, a name which means
"clearing by the small stream".
The concreted causeway and gate are excluded from the scheduling, although the
ground beneath them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
070250, Information from SMR,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing