Great Brockholds moated site and fishpond
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007840.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2020 at 10:48:43.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Uttlesford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 61300 35309
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Great Brockholds remains essentially undisturbed and as such will retain archaeological information pertaining to the occupation of the site. The water-filled ditches will retain environmental evidence relating to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.
The monument includes a moated site and fishpond situated on high ground 2km
south-east of Radwinter church. The moated site is square in shape measuring
84m NE-SW. The moat arms are water-filled in places and are between 3m and 15m
wide. A retaining bank 1m wide and 1m high is situated along the western arm
while on the south-western arm the retaining bank is between 1m and 6m wide
and is approximately 1.5m high. A modern causeway 3m wide on the south-east
arm and a footbridge across the north-east arm give access to the island,
which has been partly levelled off and rises slightly towards the west and
A fishpond, 10m south-east of the moat and measuring 50m NW-SE by 15m NE-SW,
is kept water-filled by seepage. The pond was once connected to the moat by a
drainage channel which, although no longer visible at ground level, is
preserved as a buried feature.
The manor was held by the Rood family of Great Sampford in the 14th century
until in 1419 it passed by marriage to Geoffrey Brokhole along with Asheldham
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935)
Nar No: TL 63 NW 9, Information from the National Archaeological Record (TL63NW9),
SMR No: 1440, Information from SMR (No 1440),
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing