This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two bowl barrows 560m and 650m north west of Newlands Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two bowl barrows 560m and 650m north west of Newlands Farm

List entry Number: 1016432

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Lulworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 19-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 31916

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite some reduction by ploughing, the two bowl barrows 560m and 650m north west of Newlands Farm survive comparatively well and partial excavation of one of the barrows has demonstrated the presence of archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument, which falls into two areas of protection, includes two bowl barrows aligned north east by south west, situated below the crest of a ridge overlooking St Oswald's Bay to the south. The barrows were recorded by the Ordnance Survey in 1903, L V Grinsell in 1959 and by the Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments (England) in 1970. Each has a mound composed of earth and chalk, with maximum dimensions of 30m and 35m in diameter and about 0.5m in height. The larger mound is to the west. Surrounding each mound is a ditch from which material was quarried during the construction of the monument. These have become infilled over the years, but each will survive as a buried feature 2m wide. The western bowl barrow was partially excavated in 1916 by Mr V P Kitchin and Captain D A Brownsword. Their investigation recovered an urn containing the cremated remains of an adult woman. The urn was situated within a cavity in natural clay with flints; it was surrounded by a lining of ash and lay beneath a triangular flat stone which was associated with sheep bones.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Historical Monuments in the County of Dorset: Volume I, (1970), 445
Historical Monuments in the County of Dorset: Volume I, (1970), 446
Grinsell, L V, 'Procs Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Soc.' in Dorset Barrows, (1959), 140
Kitchin, V P, 'Proc Dorset Nat Hist Arch Soc' in The Opening Of A Round Barrow At West Lulworth in 1916, (1959), 92-3
Kitchin, V P, 'Proc Dorset Nat Hist Arch Soc' in The Opening Of A Round Barrow At West Lulworth in 1916, (1959), 92-3
Other
Mention 1903 Ordnance Survey Map,

National Grid Reference: SY 80501 81281, SY 80629 81337

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016432 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 04:10:04.

End of official listing