This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two bowl barrows 650m and 410m north west of Hendra Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two bowl barrows 650m and 410m north west of Hendra Farm

List entry Number: 1019020

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ladock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 22-Nov-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Mar-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32905

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The two bowl barrows 650m and 410m north west of Hendra Farm survive reasonably well, the Jenkyn's or Hendra Barrow to the north showing clearly the original bowl form of its mound and remains of a ditch around it. Despite evidence for limited disturbance of the northern barrow and some ploughing down of the southern, both mounds remain substantially intact, as will the underlying old land surface and any surviving original deposits associated with it. Their location within a wider ridge-top barrow cemetery illustrates well the important role of topography in Bronze Age funerary activity.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes two prehistoric bowl barrows, situated above a south west slope on a ridge east of Carland Cross. The scheduling is divided into two separate areas of protection. The northern barrow, known as Jenkyn's or Hendra Barrow, has a prominent mound approximately 24.4m diameter and 2.5m high. The mound is of earth and small stones, with some larger quartz stone protruding from the surface near its edge, which may be part of a kerb around the mound. An irregular hollow some 10m north-south by 4m east-west and 0.4m deep in the top of the mound is considered to be the result of an antiquarian excavation. Remains of a quarry ditch around the mound are visible, particularly on the north and south west sides, forming a depression extending up to 3m from the mound edge and measuring up to 0.1m deep. The southern barrow has a denuded mound approximately 17m across north-south by 15m east-west, and up to 1m high. The monument is closely associated with other barrows beyond this scheduling which together form a ridge-top barrow cemetery.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gover, J E B, The Place-Names of Cornwall, (1948), 468
Henderson, C, 'Parochial Antiquities' in Parochial Antiquities, , Vol. 3, (1916), 209
Prior, R, 'Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall' in Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, , Vol. 13, (1898), 435-436
Other
Letter 43, Thomas, R, Letter to the West Briton, (1850)
Saunders, A, AM 7, (1958)
SW 85 SE 3, Ordnance Survey , Ordnance Survey Index Card, (1970)
Title: Ladock Tithe Apportionment Source Date: 1840 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Ordnance Survey 2" drawing Source Date: 1811 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Ordnance Survey 2" field drawing Source Date: 1811 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: SW 85752 53502, SW 85770 53768

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 11:30:18.

End of official listing