Round barrow 400m north east of Haugh Rigg
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019778 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 06:23:35.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Ryedale (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 79880 89483
Reasons for Designation
Round barrows are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to
the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC.
They were constructed as earthen mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered
single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as
cemeteries and often acted as a focus of burials in later periods. Often
superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit
regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are
over 10,000 surviving examples recorded nationally (many more have already
been destroyed), occurring across most of Britain, including the Wessex area
where it is often possible to classify them more closely, for example as bowl
or bell barrows. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major
historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation in
form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the
diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric
communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a
substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Although reduced by agricultural activity the round barrow 400m north east of Haugh Rigg has survived well. Significant information about the original construction of the barrow, the burials placed within it and its relationship with other monuments in the area will be preserved. Evidence of earlier land use will also survive beneath the barrow mound.
The monument includes a round barrow situated in a prominant position on the
southern slopes of the North York Moors overlooking the Vale of Pickering. It
is known from archaeological evidence that the southern flanks of the moors
were extensively used in the prehistoric period for agricultural and ritual
purposes. Remains of these activities survive today.
The barrow originally had an earth and stone mound, shown on a map in 1928 to
be approximately 18m in diameter. Although subsequently reduced by
agricultural activity, the remains can still be seen as a low mound
measuring 0.3m in height. The mound was surrounded by a ditch up to 3m wide
which has been filled in and is no longer visible as an earthwork but will
survive as a buried feature.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Smith, M J B, Excavated Bronze Age Burial Mounds of North East Yorkshire, (1993), 9-18
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing