STATUE OF DIANA THE HUNTRESS, ABOUT 80 METRES WEST OF WYATT'S COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056135
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
STATUE OF DIANA THE HUNTRESS, ABOUT 80 METRES WEST OF WYATT'S COURT, HINTON PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATUE OF DIANA THE HUNTRESS, ABOUT 80 METRES WEST OF WYATT'S COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056135 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 00:22:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
STATUE OF DIANA THE HUNTRESS, ABOUT 80 METRES WEST OF WYATT'S COURT, HINTON PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Hinton St. George
National Grid Reference:
ST 41685 12422

Details

ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP HINTON PARK

7/76 Statue of Diana the Huntress, about 80 metres west of Wyatt's Court (formerly listed as Statue in Hinton Park about half-mile W. of Hinton House) 4.2.58 GV II

Statue, 1704. Ham stone base, Portland stone statue. Circular base about 1 metre in diameter and about 4 metres high, with moulded plinth and cornice and step top: the figure of Diana looking westward, with her right arm bent back over her shoulder to pull an arrow from her sheath, with a stag rampant on the south side. A plaque at the base records that this statue, originally one mile to the west, and relocated to half a mile to the west of the house, was restored and re-erected on its present site in 1984. The date 1704 given on the plaque, but it has been suggested, with some justification stylistically, that it may be c1766, at which time the then Earl Poulett realigned the road north of the estate and improved the landscaping west of Hinton House (qv): the statue was then surrounded by a double ring of lime trees. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p40).

Listing NGR: ST4168512422

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262328
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 40
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].