Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079069.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 01:19:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Greenwich (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 38774 77006



Macartney House TQ 3877 26/G22 19.10.51. TQ 3876 37/G22


2. House built in 1694 with many additions in mid C18, early C19 and later. Irregular plan. 2 and a half storeys (the half is a mezzanine) 6 windows on main West front. Multicoloured stock brick with red brick dressings and stone coped parapet. Ground floor and mezzanine blank except for small modern windows inserted on each floor; sunk panels elsewhere. On 2nd floor recessed sash windows with glazing bars. Renewed door and fanlight in wood doorcase of sunk panel pilasters and cornice. 5-window South return has mezzanine panels in 2 left bays with 2 long casements and a round-headed door beneath. The 3 right bays have 2 tall storeys with very high, round arched windows. Heavy cornice at 1st floor cills continues around to lower, 2-storey, 5-bay South wing with fenestration much altered. Early Cl9 link to later C19 North wing with fenestration much altered. On Park elevation the different periods show more clearly on the left a section of circa lpo with an early C19 round bow added in the middle. Then an early C19 link to the original house of 1694 and finally the North wing of circa 1855 with an early C18 wall in its lower floor. Tile house belonged to the Wolfe family, parents to the victor of Quebec. In 1802 it passed to the Hon George Lyttleton, later Lord Lyttleton, who caused alterations to be made by Sir John Soane, not readily visible from outside, and not much remaining inside. It has now been turned into flats. RCHM. LCC blue plaque commemorates the residence here of General Wolfe 1751-58.

Listing NGR: TQ3877477006


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/02261/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Michael Philpot. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].