Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108399.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2021 at 13:41:09.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Hams (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 80866 56343


ASHPRINGTON SX85NW BOW 6/33 Yeatson House Including Garden Area Wall to 9.2.61 South and West


House, formerly a farmhouse. Circa late C18, remodelled and extended in circa 1830. Stuccoed stone rubble. Asbestos slate hipped roof with wooden modillion cornice; gable-ended wing at rear. Scantle slate roof with gable ends over rear service wing which has exposed stone rubble walls. Rendered and painted brick stacks over side walls and at gable end of rear wing. Plan: L-shaped on plan. Symmetrical front range has a drawing room to the right and dining room to the left; at the centre a porch leads to a wide but shallow stair hall at the front with a small room behind. In the wing behind the left hand room there is the servant's hall/kitchen from which rise the back stairs. Another wing probably added in 1830 is built across the end of the rear wing and contains a back kitchen or dairy with stairs to a loft above. The ground level is lower to the right where there is a doorway to a cellar under the right hand end of the main range. The circa 1830 alterations include the remodelling of the interior of the ground floor, the addition of the front and side porches and the addition of the back kitchen wing. Exterior: 2 storeys, attic and cellar. Symmetrical 3-bay east front with a modillion cornice and rusticated quoins. Early C19 tripartite sashes with glazing bars, the ground floor 12 panes flashed by 4-pane lights, the first floor 9 panes flashed by 3-pane lights; all with granite sills. Central doorway with rusticated stucco enclosed porch with heavy cornice, central C19 glazed double doors flanked by double recessed round-headed windows. The inner doorway has a Cl9 6-panel door. 2 small hipped roof dormers with small- paned casements. Right hand end has segmented headed casement with glazing bars and cellar door below. The left hand side has porch to side doorway with moulded cornice and C19 casement windows with small panes. The rear wing built across the back wing of the main house has casement windows with glazing bars and a flight of steps up to the kitchen garden (walls (qv)) at higher ground level at the back; the stairs form a porch with a round-arch doorway to the back kitchen. In the gable end of the rear wing there is a slate sundial with a shaped head inscribed 'T.E. 1830'; probably Thomas Edmonds. Including the front and lefthand side garden area wall; early C19 stone rubble with simple slate capping. The wall acts as a retaining wall at the front where the trade is at a lower level than the garden. There are gate-piers on the left hand side of the front with a mounting block to the side. Interior: The internal joinery is entirely intact except for the 2 ground floor front room chimneypieces which are C20. The house is complete with 6- panel doors and internal window shutters. The 2 principal front rooms have deeply moulded plaster ceiling cornices of circa 1830. The small stairhall has a similar cornice and a fine open well staircase with stick balusters, moulded mahogany handrail ramped up to a column newel on the landing and wreathed with a bone inlay over the curtail; the open string has scroll tread ends. The kitchen/servant's hall has panelled cupboards and back stairs. The back kitchen or dairy has a segmented arched fireplace with flues either side which may be for cream scolding and curing hams; and there is a stone staircase to the chamber above. First floor right hand room has an original late C18 chimneypiece with a dentilled cornice and moulded architrave, the grate missing. The left hand room has another original chimneypiece, its cornice missing. The stairs from the first floor to the attic have stick balusters. Note: The initials T.E. on the sundial probably refer to Thomas Edmonds. Kellys Directory of 1856 lists Thomas Hunt Edmonds of Fore Street, Totnes, as a solicitor. It may have been this Thomas Edmonds or possibly his father who made the improvements to Yeatson House. The nearby farmhouse, Lower Yeatson (gv) has a plaster panel inside inscribed "Thomas Edmonds 1833". He presumably built Lower Yeatson when upgrading Yeatson House for his own use.

Listing NGR: SX8086656343


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Devonshire, (1856)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].