This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PRINCIPAL TIMBER WAREHOUSE AT COX'S TIMBER YARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRINCIPAL TIMBER WAREHOUSE AT COX'S TIMBER YARD

List entry Number: 1204198

Location

PRINCIPAL TIMBER WAREHOUSE AT COX'S TIMBER YARD, BRIDGE FOOT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366154

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW BRIDGE FOOT 604-1/10/10 (South side) 03/10/88 Principal timber warehouse at Cox's Timber Yard

GV II

Timber warehouse. c1820 with mid C19 renewal. Timber-framing with wall posts on blue lias pads and C20 steel-girder strengthening frame; weatherboarding, some to 1st floor is angled to allow ventilation; tile roof with blue tiles forming pattern of large diamonds. 2 storeys with attic; 5-bay range. Front is open to ground floor; sign with white-painted lettering: J. COX AND SON. Similar sign to right return: J. COX/ AND SON/ TIMBER MERCHANTS. INTERIOR: crossed bracing to walls; queen post roof trusses with struts, and double purlins. HISTORICAL NOTE: reputed to be of c1820 and shewn on 1851 OS map, the warehouse stands near the canal, which was opened in 1816 and which was important to the industrial development of Stratford, centred in this area. The firm was founded in 1830 by James Cox and Edward Fordham Flower, the latter leaving to found Flower's Brewery, an important local concern, in the following year; it is the oldest family firm still in existence in Stratford. The building is an unusual survival and important as a reminder of the industrial nature of this area. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 12; Fogg N: Stratford-upon-Avon: Portrait of a Town: Chichester: 1986-: 134; The Stratford Society: information supplied: 1988-).

Listing NGR: SP2048054891

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 12
Fogg, N, Stratford Upon Avon Portrait of a Town, (1986), 134

National Grid Reference: SP 20480 54891

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204198 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 01:39:02.

End of official listing