This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380486



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480687

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/03/2013

TQ3203NE 577-1/49/264 13/10/52

BRIGHTON EASTERN TERRACE (North side) Nos.1-9 (Consecutive) and attached walls, piers and railings


Terraced houses, Nos 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9. 1828, altered in late C19 and early C20. Stucco and brick in Flemish bond. Roof of No.1 obscured by parapet, Nos 2 and 4 of slate, and Nos 3 and 5-9 of slate covered in pitch. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic over basement; dormers to all but No.1. The terrace has a very unusual plan: Nos 1 and 9 are at right angles to Marine Parade, the former being set back a good distance from the road and having a circular bay at the right corner. The intermediate range, Nos 2-7, is parallel to Marine Parade; the elevation of No.2 is treated as a full-height and nearly full-width segmental bay; No.8 has a concave plan which turns the corner, as it were, to No.9, the corner of which fronts directly onto Marine Parade. In conception then, the plan is a modified "L". No.1 has 7 window range, with a corner bay of 5-window range; Nos 2-8 have 3 windows each; and No.9 has a 7-window range. Nos 1 and 9, which have nearly identical entrance elevation, are the grandest in the group; although the elevations of the other units are roughly similar, giving the whole a more rather than less uniform appearance, the particular design of each is unique. No.1 is the most ambitious design of all. The entrance originally was set to the left of the corner bay in a tetrastyle Doric portico which has been filled following conversion into flats in the C20; the new entrance has been moved to the rear of the unit. The original entrance window range is broader than the rest, having tripartite windows framed by a Tuscan tetrastyle aedicule; the attic window is tripartite with a plain architrave. All the windows, here and throughout the terrace, are flat arched with projecting sills. The windows in the corner bay have architraves, and, on the first and second floors, floating cornices. The bay window next to the entrance range on the first floor is blocked. To the left of the entrance range is a full-height segmental bay of 3 windows, all upper storey windows have architraves, with first and second floor windows, again, having floating cornices. The return continues for 2 windows to the left of this bay and follows the same fenestration pattern. The sills of the attic windows here and throughout the row are level with the upper fascia of the second floor cornice. This cornice is one of the few features which continues across the whole terrace, and is interrupted only by a level change at the party wall between Nos 8 and 9. Another feature which unifies the terrace is a continuous first-floor balcony beginning on the corner bay of No.1. and having cast-iron railings; the latter step out over each entrance porch. The facade of No.2 is treated as a full-height and nearly full-width segmental bay; stairs up to entrance set in distyle-in-antis porch with entablature and blocking course; the plan of the porch mirrors the curve of the bay. All entrances are flat arched and reached by stairs, although their porches differ. The first-floor French doors have been restored since 1980; architrave and full entablature to each opening on the first and second floors. Each entrance of Nos 3 and 4 set in prostyle porch consisting of a pair of Tuscan columns and entablature with projecting cornice; porch of No.3 topped by a C20 glazed verandah, the roof of C19 design. Architraves to first- and second-floor openings removed, the wall surface replaced by cement coating beyond which only the sills project. No.4 survives with more of its original features. Nos 5, 6 and 7 have stucco to the ground floor only, with brown stock brick used for the upper storey wall surfaces. Entrances to Nos 5 and 6 paired and set under elaborate porch, mid C19 date: the party wall projects to form a double pier in the centre of the porch; antae to the outer corners; incised on each pier is the outline of a Greek-key pilaster strip; entablature with bracketed cornice; side walls of porch pierced by round-arched windows with architraves interrupted by impost blocks and keystones; windows 1 x 1 sashes with margin lights of coloured glass. Architraves to openings on all windows but Nos 3 and 4. The attic windows of Nos 5 and 6 have been lengthened and now interrupt the second floor cornice. Each second-floor and attic window of No.6 has a balcony; all windows to this unit have pelmets. Entrances to Nos 7 and 8 are framed by a projecting aedicule of Doric pilasters and entablature, the latter's follows the concave plan of the elevation. The entrance elevation to No.9, at right angles to the facades of Nos 2-7, is comparable to that of No.1. Entrance set in distyle in antis porch, the side walls of which are pierced by flat-arched windows. Entrance-range windows are set in tripartite aedicules, only the centre of which is glazed. To either side of entrance rises a full-height segmental bay of 3 windows. Ground floor is stuccoed, windows with projecting sills; brick to upper storeys painted; the first and second floor openings each with architrave and entablature; centre-window range of left-hand bay blocked in second and attic floors; corner-window range of right-hand bay blocked on second floor, side windows in attic of this bay also blocked. As with No.1, first-floor balcony with cast-iron railings except in entrance range. No.9's return much altered; attic has tripartite window set in tetrastyle Tuscan aedicule, the entire range recessed slightly. Single C20 dormers to Nos 2 and 4; 2 dormers to No.6; Nos 3, 5 and 7 have 3 flat-arched dormers each. Sashes of original design recently restored to No.2. Sashes of original design in No.1: to corner bay, second and attic floors, 6 x 6 and 3 x 3 respectively; entrance range, second floor, 6 x 6 centre window, and 2 x 2 side windows; attic of entrance range top sashes of 3 panes each; to attic in windows to either side of entrance range, top sashes of 3 each. Stacks to end and party walls. Rear elevations of brick, each with a full-height canted bay, some with cast-iron railings. INTERIOR: large entrance hall to No.7 has a coffered ceiling; dogleg stair to the rear; cast-iron balusters in heart and anthemion pattern with wreathed handrail and curtail bottom step (similar stair to Nos 8 and 9). Oval skylight to stair hall. Doors to landings of all units richly moulded. Stair hall to No.8 has octagonal skylight; to the left of the entrance a suite of rooms formed by partitions from one larger room, with Arts and Crafts decorations of late C19 or early C20 date: frieze of trees and tulips with Jacobean-style ceiling; Renaissance-Revival chimney piece in wood. Entrance hall of No.9 entered through distyle in antis; to either side moulded doorcases with painted roundel overdoors depicting mythological subjects; all ground-floor decoration date to late C19 or early C20; room to north has Rococo-Revival pelmets of same date; richly moulded cornices to most rooms on ground floor. Walls and panelled piers to entrances of Nos 7, 8 and 9. Railings to all areas. HISTORICAL NOTE: many former residents of note: No.1 was occupied by the first Lord Sudeley from 1836 until 1858 and by Sir Albert Sassoon from 1876 to 1896, the latter constructing his mausoleum in St George's Road (qv). No.1 became the Court Royal Hotel in 1914 and was converted into Court Royal Mansions in c1955. In No.2 lived George Augustus Sala in the 1890s, and, later, King Manuel of Portugal during his exile. The whole terrace constitutes a group with Nos 137-143 (consecutive and including Bristol Court) Marine Parade (qv). (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 99E).

Listing NGR: TQ3261703649

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990), 99E

National Grid Reference: TQ 32617 03649


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380486 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 01:40:31.

End of official listing