PULHAMITE WATERFALL IN BROMLEY PALACE PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1392583
Date first listed:
30-Apr-2008
Statutory Address:
PULHAMITE WATERFALL IN BROMLEY PALACE PARK, STOCKWELL CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PULHAMITE WATERFALL IN BROMLEY PALACE PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392583.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 23:42:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
PULHAMITE WATERFALL IN BROMLEY PALACE PARK, STOCKWELL CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Bromley (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 40782 69038

Reasons for Designation

The Pulhamite waterfall of c.1865 at the north end of the lake at Bromley's former bishop's palace is designated for listing, for the following principal reasons: * It is a good and little altered example of the artificial rock work (Pulhamite) produced in the C19 by James Pulham's firm * It sits within a little-altered mid-C19 landscape setting, at the end of a lake and amidst trees.

Details



This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/01/2014

785/1/10146

STOCKWELL CLOSE Pulhamite waterfall in Bromley Palace Park

(Formerly listed under KENTISH WAY)

30-APR-08 II Pulhamite artificial rock-work waterfall of c.1865; by the firm of Pulhams, garden contractors. DESCRIPTION: The waterfall comprises a linear, bedded, mass of Pulhamite rockwork, overall approximately 15m across and 5m deep. Some of the individual rocks are over a cubic metre in size. The rockwork is set in the dam which forms the south end of the lake, with a central cleft through which water cascaded to a basin at its base (the waterfall was not working at the time of inspection in 2007). The rockwork has a brown, sandy exterior finish; in some places the exterior skin has broken off exposing the scrap-brick core of the rockwork.

HISTORY: 'Pulhamite' rock-work was developed by James Pulham (c.1820-98), the son of one the pioneers of Portland cement manufacture. In the 1840s he began to use this cement as an ingredient in the construction of artificial rock-work. Masses of clinker and scrap brickwork were assembled, cement was poured over them, and they were moulded into boulder-like formations. Various surface finishes produced highly convincing and various artificial rock types, so convincing as at times to deceive naturalists. At Bromley, after changes to the boundary of the bishopric in 1845 the Palace became the private house of Coles Child, a wealthy coal merchant. He extended the house using Richard Norman Shaw as architect in 1863, and by 1865 was ornamenting his grounds, employing James Pulham over a five year period to create what contemporary records describe as a fernery and waterfall. It is the former which stands at the north end of the lake, with the waterfall to the south.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: The Pulhamite waterfall of c.1865 at the north end of the lake at Bromley's former bishop's palace is listed for the following principal reasons: * It is a good and little-altered example of the artificial rock work (Pulhamite) produced in the mid-C19 by James Pulham's firm * It sits within a little-altered mid-C19 landscape setting, at the end of a lake and amidst trees.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
503799
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].