Elsecar Colliery Newcomen Engine, Barnsley
Elsecar Colliery Newcomen Engine, Barnsley, South Yorkshire S74 8HJ
Built in 1795. Designed to extract water from Elsecar New Colliery to allow the exploration of deeper coal seams. Ran from 1795 to 1923 when it was replaced by electric pumps. Only one of its kind to remain in its original location.
The Newcomen Colliery Compound is open every day 10am to 4pm all year except Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Day. The compound is open for visitors to enjoy the panels, building and to see from the outside the ground floor of the engine house through the door. Guided Site tours take place every Saturday and Sunday all year round for visitors to find out more about the development of the colliery and wider site. Site tours can also be arranged by appointment on weekdays by groups. From March until November the engine will be running on set dates throughout the year as guided tours and demonstrations. The tours are bookable and limited to 15 spaces and usually occur at least twice a month. By arrangement group tour bookings are also organised for set dates throughout the year. In September site tours and Newcomen Demonstrations were made available as part of the Heritage Open Day Weekends. In 2023 we will be involved in this initiative again. Planned in 2023 are the continuation of site tours and Newcomen Engine Demonstrations. Other plans include twilight Newcomen Engine Demonstrations as well as village and walking tours around the local area.
- Adult: £6
- Child: Free