St Augustine of England, St Augustine's Road
St Augustine of England, St Augustine's Road, Ramsgate, Kent CT11 9NY View on map
Victorian Gothic church and cloisters by Augustus Pugin (1845-51) with later additions by Edward and Peter Pugin. Contains Pugin family chantry and tomb in the south transept. Font and stained glass shown at the Great Exhibition in 1851. Church is built of knapped flint with Whitby stone dressings and fish slated tiled roofs. The church is also an active shrine of St Augustine of England celebrating the arrival of Christianity on these shores in AD597.
Daily opening between 10.00am to 4.00pm. Sundays between 8.30am to 4.00pm. Note: Mass is at 12 noon each day and lasts about 30 minutes; on Sundays Mass is at 8.30am and 12.00pm.
Nearest railway station at Ramsgate (2 miles from church). 'Loop' bus service every 10 minutes from station and harbour. By road: From London, the M2 then A299 (Thanet Way). At Ramsgate, B2054 towards the Town Centre; 3rd exit at the roundabout at the top of the hill, drive towards the sea; church is at the black flint wall. Buses: 34, 42, 87 and 88 (to Minster and Sandwich). Bus stop outside church. Thanet loop buses stop at Grange Road-London Road.
On-road parking nearby. Additional parking is free of charge on the Royal Esplanade.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes