St Edmund, South Burlingham
St Edmund, South Burlingham, Norfolk NR13 4EU View on map
Parish church dating from 12th century, with nave and chancel dating to 14th century. Square 15th century west tower which was restored in 1872. Romanesque south doorway with order of shafts with capitals carved with volutes and chevron-moulded arch. Corbel-head over arch. Pointed inner arch with continuous hollow chamfer, south doorway now blocked in brick scallop-moulded capitals supporting an uncarved arch possibly intended to have beak-head decoration. Octagonal C13 Purbeck font with open trussed ogee cover. On the north nave wall a faint 14th century painting of St. Christopher can be seen. A Fresco on chancel south wall depicts the martyrdom of Becket.
Daily during months of July and August, 10am - 4pm. Can be veiwed outside of these months via key holders as advertised. Advance notice appreciated.
A47 between Norwich and Acle. Turn right at Beighton-Cantley junction and follow road for about half a mile. Turn left into South Burlingahm Road which becomes Church Road. Church on right. Rail: Lingwood (1 mile)
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes