The Blue Idol Meeting House, Old House Lane
The Blue Idol Meeting House, Old House Lane, Coolham, West Sussex RH13 8QP View on map
A Grade II star building, originally an L-shaped timber-framed farmhouse with plaster infilling and a Horsham slab roof. In 1691 the south end of the building was converted into a Friends' Meeting House by John Shaw, who removed the internal first floor. The Meeting House has a gallery with 2 attic bedrooms for visiting Friends. The window bay at the north end of the building was added in 1893 and there are also modern additions dating from 1931 for the Guest House. William Penn attended this Meeting House between 1676 and 1693 and his daughter, Letitia, is buried in the burial ground attached to the Meeting House.
The Meeting House to be open 1 day a week between the hours of 10am and 4pm from March to November. Open dates will be displayed on the website calendar a few weeks ahead of opening - http://www.blueidol.org/calendar.html. Visits at other times by arrangement; please contact [email protected] The garden is open all year round during daylight hours.
From A29 at Billingshurst turn east onto the A272 at Coneyhurst then right onto Old House Lane. The Blue Idol Meeting House is about 100m on left-hand side. The nearest railway station is at Billingshurst, 3 miles away. There is no bus service to the Meeting House.
Parking in nearby area by prior arrangement for 40 cars.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes