The Dovecote, The Old Hall
The Dovecote, The Old Hall, Barholm, Lincolnshire PE9 4RA
A circa 1600 GII* listed structure and scheduled ancient monument with approximately 1500 stone-brick lined nest boxes and ledges. 50 tons of guano was removed to reveal a stone altar in the centre. The lower half of the south wall was rebuilt and stabilised, stonework re-pointed, windows re-glazed and door repaired. It was completely re-roofed with collyweston slate tiles, the two louvred flight turrets rebuilt and pigeon proofed. A gutter was attached to the south side with below ground surface water drains. To help public access inside the property electric lights were added. The Dovecote retains its narrow doorway with a step down into the building with no handrails are for assistance. Access is for the Dovecote only and the public are asked to respect the owners privacy. Only guide dogs allowed on-site.
The Dovecote is open all year by contacting the owner - Martin and Rosemary Trollope-Bellew. Please ring 48 hours prior to the visit.
At the 5 Horseshoes Public House, Barholm