An interior view of blind arcading in the eastern-most bays of the north choir aisle in Durham Cathedral, seen from the west

Date:
1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Christ and St Mary the Virgin's Cathedral Church, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05658
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The main body of Durham Cathedral was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations made in the 13th and 15th centuries. The aisle is north of St Cuthbert's Refectory, and has an arcade with trefoil-headed arches and foliage capitals. Over the east three arches are oval quatre-foils, and a low window over the remainder of the arcade. The bay to the west has overlapping round-headed arches.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Aisle, Blind Arcade, Medieval Cathedral, Medieval Anglican Cathedral