An interior view of the south bay of the Chapel of Nine Altar's west wall, showing a door and a blind arch

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Christ and St Mary the Virgin's Cathedral Church, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05709
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral church was originally part of a Benedictine Priory and refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The chapel has a door in the south-western corner, set within a short wall. To the right is a blind arch with trefoil head and cut-off quatrefoils above. At the top of the short wall and arch is a band, and a platform or gallery above.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Chapel, Medieval Cathedral