A detailed view of three canopied niches at the west end of the nave in St Andrew's Church

Date:
1942
Location:
ST ANDREWS CHURCH, HAUGHTON LE SKERNE, DARLINGTON, Darlington
Reference:
AA42/08580
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The church dates to circa 1100, and was built on the site of an earlier Saxon church. It has a west tower of two stages, a nave and chancel. It was restored in the 15th century, and the transepts, vestry and south porch were added in 1795.

At the west end of the nave are three canopied niches with a wooden back. Each canopy has a crocketed pinnacle at either side and a central spire with finial.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Nave, Niche, Medieval Church, Religion