An interior view of the Bar Convent Chapel, looking west towards the organ gallery from the sanctuary
- Bar Convent, Blossom Street, York
- Photograph (Negative)
The chapel is part of the convent and school of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The chapel block dates to 1766-1769 and is situated south-east of the convent. The chancel is domed and has an Ionic rotunda of eight columns. A rotunda is a building, or section of one, that is round in shape. The nave has three bays, with a north and south transept at the eastern end, springing from the rotunda. To the west is an organ gallery supported by an arcade of three round-headed arches. It has a wrought-iron balustrade, and underneath are panelled double doors.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Wood, George Bernard
Chapel, Gallery (Ecclesiastical), Sanctuary, Georgian Chapel, Religion
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.