The shrine of St Wite, which features three mandorla or vesica piscis shaped openings, in St Candida and Holy Cross Church

Date:
1930-1950
Location:
St Candida And Holy Cross Church, Whitchurch Canonicorum, West Dorset, Dorset
Show all locations
ST CANDIDA AND HOLY CROSS CHURCH, ST WITE MONUMENT, Whitchurch Canonicorum, WHITCHURCH CANONICORUM, West Dorset, Dorset
Reference:
AA50/08659
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Aside from the shrine of Edward the Confessor in Westminster Abbey, the shrine of St Wite is the only shrine with relics in England to survive the Reformation. St Candida and Holy Cross was a site of pilgrimage and has been referred to as 'the Cathedral in the Vale'. The shrine of St Wite dates from the 13th century and consists of a limestone altar in which three oval openings are carved, and on top of which rests a stone coffin. The coffin contains a lead box inscribed "Here rest of the relics of St Wite", in which were found in the early 20th century the bones of a woman. Believing that the relics had healing powers, pilgrims would place belongings or diseased body parts into the oval openings.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Shrine, Early Medieval Benedictine Cell, Early Medieval Church, Early Medieval Minster, Medieval Benedictine Cell, Medieval Church, Medieval Parish Church, Post Medieval Parish Church, Religion