Fragments of Norman carved stones in the interior south wall of St Mary's Church

Date:
1930-1951
Location:
St Mary's Church, Wirksworth, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire
Reference:
AA51/06809
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The carvings in the south wall are arranged in three rows. In the bottom row, from the left, is a capital attached to a block, a capital and a four-legged animal, two orders of triangle perhaps carved onto a capital, and a beakhead voussoir. In the second row is a dog-like face, and two human figures which perhaps once formed part of a scene depicting the Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi, as part of the Nativity. In the final top row is the head of a ram, and a fragment of a roundel encircling a saltire cross.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Medieval Church, Post Medieval Parish Church, Early Medieval Carved Stone, Religion