An exterior view of the ivy covered east front of Well Hall House
- Before Summer 1931
- Well Hall House, Eltham, Greenwich, Greater London Authority
- Photograph (Negative)
This is a photograph of an image printed in a book. It is believed that the image was photographed by PEW Street c1933-1950.
The photographer's notes state: 'Copy. "Well Hall, Eltham- E. Nesbit's Home for 23 years" (from a reproduction of photo in the book " E. Nesbit, a Biography" by Doris Langley Moore, first published 1933). This photo shows the east front from N. E. Apporached from Well Hall Road'.
Well Hall was originally a 16th century moated manor house owned by the Roper Family. It was demolished in 1733 and replaced with Well Hall House. The surviving older buildings were used then used as farm buildings. Well Hall House was demolished in the summer of 1931 and the farm buildings, including the Tudor Barn, were bought by Woolwich Borough Council. The Tudor Barn was then converted into an art gallery and restaurant in 1936. The grounds of the house became Well Hall Pleasaunce Public Park.
© Historic England Archive
Person of historic interest/notable pers: Nesbit, E
Creator of Archive: Street, Philip Edmund Wills