The farm buildings on the north side of Well Hall viewed from close to Kidbrooke Lane

Date:
1 Mar 1930
Location:
Well Hall Farm Outbuildings, Outbuildings, Well Hall Road, Eltham, Greenwich, Greater London Authority, SE9
Reference:
BB71/09015
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

The photographer's notes state: 'General view of the farmbuildings from N.W., close to Kidbrooke Lane. The Barn in the centre. To the right of it is the west range, showing its north end gable. At the back can be seen the south range (portions of its north side). The west arm of the moat on extreme right. Modern buildings along Well Hall Road (east side) at back on left'.

There is also an additional note stating: 'The Barn was demolished at the end of 1934 or in Jan. 1935. The same fate befell the West Range before April 1936, probably late 1935'.

Well Hall was originally a 16th century moated manor house owned by the Roper Family. It was demolished in 1733 and replaced with Well Hall House. The surviving older buildings were used then used as farm buildings. Well Hall House was demolished in the summer of 1931 and the Tudor Barn was converted into an art gallery and restaurant in 1936. The grounds of the house, including the moat, became Well Hall Pleasaunce Public Park.

Content

This is part of the Series: PEW01/01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection, Negatives; within the Collection: PEW01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills

Keywords

Post Medieval Farm Building

Back
to top