20th Century Air-Raid Precaution Railway Control Centres
By Paul Francis, Paul Bellamy, Graham Crisp
This report was commissioned from leading members of the Airfield Research Group by English Heritage, in order to have a better understanding of 20th century air raid precaution railway control centres in England.
This report builds on research and a survey completed on the Chester District type A2 Railway Control Centre, demolished during March 2014. The original report on this building is included here as a test case. This report is based on primary sources preserved at the National Archives (TNA), Kew, and the National Railway Museum (Search Engine) archives at York, as well as contemporary secondary sources retained at the Airfield Research Group's archives at Alconbury airfield. This report complements wider work within the National Heritage plan on understanding and protecting transport heritage and civil defence aspects of 20th century military heritage.
- Part 1: Introduction and notes on Sources
- Part 2: The First World War
- Part 3: Second World War Railway Control
- Part 4: Britains Railway's in Wartime
- Part 5: Case Study: Chester Type A2 District Control Room
- Part 6: Cold War
- Appendix II - Wartime Railway Emergency Control Centre Status, 2014
- Appendix III - British Rail Cold War Railway Control Centres Status, 2014.
- Appendix IV - Admin & Control Centres Estimates, Great Western Railway, 08-06-38.
- Appendix V - Admin & Control Centres Estimates, London & North Eastern Railway, 08-06-38.
- Appendix VI - Admin & ControlCentres Estimates, London,Midland Scottish Railway, 08-06-38.
- Appendix VII - Admin & Control Rooms Estimates, Southern Railway, 08-06-38.
- Appendix VIII - Vital Points Admin & Control Centres, London Passenger Board - Estimates (June 1938).
- Appendix IX - Estimates for Control Rooms.
- Appendix X - Construction only projects.
- Appendix XI - Defence of the Railway.
- Appendix XII - Duplication of Facilities Installed as an ARP Measure: Emergency Control Centres.
- Appendix XIII - Protection of Power-Stations and Sub-Stations.
- Appendix VIII - Demolition.
- Publication Status: Completed
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516