Anderton Boat Lift, Cheshire

Anderton Boat Lift, Cheshire
Photograph taken October 2000 © COPYRIGHT Historic England Archive ref: aa99/09244

The Anderton Boat Lift, opened in 1875, was the forerunner of several similar lifts elsewhere in Europe. It transfers canal boats between the Weaver Navigation and the Trent & Mersey Canal. Originally operating under hydraulic power, an electric motor was installed in 1904.

Location