Chamberlain Square, Birmingham

Chamberlain Square, Birmingham
Photograph taken circa 1877 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: BL 1421A

This civic fountain was erected in 1880 by public subscription in gratitude for Joseph Chamberlain's time as mayor (1873-6). The architect was John Chamberlain, with S Barfield of Leicester, sculptor, and Salviati Burke & Co of Venice, mosaics. In the background are Mason College and the pubilc library, both of which have since been demolished.

Location

West Midlands Birmingham

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

town square fountain library building architecture mayor Victorian (1837 - 1901)