Former Lancashire Watch Company, Prescot, Merseyside
This former watch making factory in Albany Road was built in 1889- 90 for the Lancashire Watch Company. It was designed by Stott and Sons. Watch making factories on this scale were rare and this is believed to be the only surviving example in Britain. From the mid 18th to the mid 19th century Prescot was the most important centre in Europe for the production of clock and watch parts and tools. The building of this factory was a last ditch attempt to stop competition from America and the factory was a copy of one in Illinois. Unfortunately it was not a success and closed in 1910. The factory has since been used for light industrial purposes as the Prescot Trade Centre.