Priory Row, Coventry, West Midlands

Priory Row, Coventry, West Midlands
Photograph taken 1860 - 1922 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: CC68/00029

The church of the Benedictine Priory of St Mary was Coventry's first cathedral. When the Priory was Dissolved in 1539 it was almost completely destroyed - the ivy-covered foundations running down the centre of Priory Row may be those of the south wall of the nave. To the left is a 17th-century timber-framed building, followed by parts of the Bluecoat School built in 1856-7.

Location

West Midlands Coventry

Period

Stuart (1603 - 1713)

Tags

timber framed school town priory ruin stuart (1603 - 1713)