What can the Beeline Heritage Trail tell us about the history and importance of Dewsbury?
This resource will help pupils discover more about some of Dewsbury’s most historic buildings and place them in their local and regional and context.
Dewsbury Beeline Heritage Trail
Follow this town trail to discover ten historic buildings that together tell the story of Dewsbury’s past.
By using the Beeline Heritage Trail pupils will discover some of the town’s most important historic buildings. They will then have to choose a favourite building, explaining its significance to Dewsbury and why they chose it. The cut-out models of the buildings can then be used by pupils to create a display to show others what they have learnt about the town. There is then the option for pupils to reflect on their choices, having found out even more about the history of the town by exploring its local and regional significance through the ‘A short History of Dewsbury’ PowerPoint.
Learning aims and outcomes
- To develop our local history skills by using buildings as historical evidence to find out about our area in the past
- To develop our geography skills by using maps to find out about our area in the past
- To investigate why key historical sites in our local area are important
- No prior knowledge is required
Extended learning and useful links
- Explore even more buildings in and around Dewsbury with the Dewsbury Blue Plaques Booklet
- Find out about the Dewsbury Heritage Action Zone
- Watch the trailer for the Beeline Heritage Trail
- Watch the full Beeline Heritage Trail video to find out more and see actors in role as some of the famous people mentioned in the trail!