Church of St Chad, Rawling Road, Gateshead - Gateshead

St Chad's is cruciform in plan with a large octagonal tower at its centre. Designed by the architect William Searle Hicks, it was consecrated in 1903. The slated roof coverings are approaching the end of their serviceable life and there is some water ingress internally. The roofs of the nave and tower were replaced in 2016 through funding from a Listed Places of Worship Roof Repairs Grant. Funding options are currently being explored for the repair of the remainder of the roofs following two unsuccessful bids to the National Lottery Heritage Fund Grants for Places of Worship scheme.

Church of St Chad, Rawling Road, Gateshead - Gateshead
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST CHAD
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1277841
    Local Planning Authority:
    Gateshead
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Chad
    Street Name:
    Rawling Road
    Locality:
    Gateshead
    County:
    Tyne and Wear
    District / Borough:
    Gateshead
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Gateshead
    Region:
    North East and Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Previous Priority:
    D
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*