LOE BAR WRECK
List Entry Summary
This site is designated under the Protection of Wrecks Act 1973 as it is or may prove to be the site of a vessel lying wrecked on or in the sea bed and, on account of the historical, archaeological or artistic importance of the vessel, or of any objects contained or formerly contained in it which may be lying on the sea bed in or near the wreck, it ought to be protected from unauthorised interference. Protected wreck sites are designated by Statutory Instrument. The following information has been extracted from the relevant Statutory Instrument.
Name: LOE BAR WRECK
List Entry Number: 1000076
Gunwalloe Fishing Cove, Cornwall
The site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
National Grid Reference: SW 64594 23336
Date first designated: 23-May-1999
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: AMIE - Wrecks
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Information provided under the Statutory Instrument heading below forms part of the official record of a protected wreck site. Information provided under other headings does not form part of the official record of the designation. It has been compiled by Historic England to aid understanding of the protected wreck site.
Summary of Site
The remains of a seventeenth-century armed cargo vessel, thought to be identifiable with the English East Indiaman President, which stranded near Loe Bar in 1684. Homeward bound from India to London, she was carrying spices, indigo, drugs, Indian piece goods [i.e. textiles], pepper, and jewellery.
Reason for Designation
The site is potentially the wreckage of the President, a 500-ton English East Indiaman built in 1671, lost in 1684 on a homeward voyage. Cannon found on the site suggest the wreck is of a seventeenth-century date. Records show that she carried an extremely valuable cargo of spices, indigo, drugs, Indian piece goods and 100 tons of pepper. Also listed were a small amount of diamonds and much 'Jewish Treasure of Pearl"' though the latter may be polished nacre. Historical evidence indicates that salvage took place soon after the wrecking.
Designation Order: (No 1), No 1438, 1999
Made: 23rd May 1999
Laid before Parliament: 24th May 1999
Coming into force: 14th June 1999
Protected area: 250 metres within 50 03.778 N 005 17.374 W
No part of the restricted area lies above the high-water mark of ordinary spring tides.
Documentary History: Date of loss of the President is cited as being the 11th February 1683. However, at this period the Julian Calendar was still in use in England, with the New Year additionally beginning on 25th March. Thus all dates between 1st January and 24th March inclusive are reckoned as one year "behind" the modern Gregorian or "New Style" calendar, in which 1683 would be 1684.
The President was on a homeward voyage and contemporary records show that she carried an extremely valuable cargo. Historical evidence indicates that salvage took place soon after the wrecking.
'On the Sunday immediately following, in Sermon-Time, the People of the next Town first heard of the Wreck, whereupon with one consent they ran out from their Devotion to the Spoil, leaving the Parson to Preach to the bare Walls. The Company sent down several Persons to recover what they could; which was scarce enough to pay for their Journey. The vessel nevertheless was of very rich Lading, being modestly judged of no less than a hundred thousand pound Fraight; of the Companies; beside what belong'd to private Persons, with much Jewish Treasure of Pearl and Diamonds. The said Smith and Harshfield having receiv'd Commendation of His Majesty, are now preferr'd by the Company, and sent out again to sea.'
The wreck was designated as probably being the wreck of the President, a rare example of a seventeenth-century ship and an East Indiaman, of which only one other, the Trial, has been investigated archaeologically.
Archaeological History: The site was discovered in 1998 with designation pursued so as to prevent salvage. A contemporary account of the wreck by a survivor gave descriptions of some topographical features believed by the team surveying the site to be still identifiable in the cliff overlooking the wreck site, which lies close to the low water mark.
The report of the discovery of the wreck by Mr Martin was published in the diving press in October 1998, with two tons of timber and 58 cannon reportedly recovered.
The remains lie in 10-11 metres. The area is rocky with variable sand cover, lying a few metres from the low water mark. Iron objects are scattered over the site, but smaller items may be covered by pockets of sand in the uneven rock. The surge from offshore swell makes the site very dynamic, and loose material is easily moved or covered in as much as 3 to 4 metres of shingle overburden.
Loe Bar Site Designation,
Receiver of Wreck Droit,
The above chart is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale chart, please see the attached PDF - 1000076 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 12:54:43.
End of official listing