This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Martin Down enclosure 300m north of Huish Barn

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Martin Down enclosure 300m north of Huish Barn

List entry Number: 1002766

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sydling St. Nicholas

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 30-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: DO 268

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Martin Down enclosures (named after a typical example on Martin Down in Dorset), are small, usually sub-rectangular areas often covering less than 0.3ha originally bounded by a low bank and/or fence with a surrounding ditch. Most have a single entrance, identified by a causeway over the ditch. Dating to the Late Bronze Age, from the tenth to eighth centuries BC, these enclosures are interpreted as domestic settlements, and excavated examples have been found to contain circular structures, post holes, pits, hollows and burnt mounds, associated with fragments of querns, pottery, animal bones, charred grain, worked flint artefacts and metalwork. In some cases, as with the enclosure on Martin Down itself, they are associated with contemporary field systems. They occur mainly on the chalk downland of central southern England, although examples in Kent, Sussex, East Anglia and the Midlands are also known. Generally constructed on the flanks of hills, they have also been identified in valley bottoms and on hilltops. Because they are usually situated on good agricultural land, many have been levelled by subsequent ploughing and survive largely in buried form, often visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs. Fewer than 15 examples have been positively identified so far. Martin Down enclosures are thus a very rare monument type and form one of a limited range of monuments dating to the Late Bronze Age. Although much is already known about the Martin Down enclosure 300m north of Huish Barn, further archaeological and environmental evidence will be retained in this rare and important monument.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a Martin Down enclosure (so called after the site which established the typology) situated on the upper north facing slopes of the prominent Shearplace Hill, overlooking the valley of the Sydling water. The Martin Down enclosure survives as a series of banks of up to 1.2m high and hollow ways of up to 1.7m deep, covering an area of approximately 0.5ha. Excavations by Rahtz in 1958 indicated that settlement spanned three phases dating from the Middle to Late Bronze Age. The complex included a farmstead of several enclosures formed by strong banks, ditches and palisades with a principal enclosure containing two circular house sites. The settlement was apparently abandoned in the Late Bronze Age although there was some limited occupation during the late Roman period (3rd to 4th centuries) possibly by a shepherd. The settlement was connected to the adjacent field system by a series of hollow ways. Finds included pottery characteristic of the Deverel-Rimbury group and barrel-shaped bucket urn types; a decorated bone weaving comb; clay roof and loom weights; whetstones; flint scrapers and animal bone. Charcoal produced dates of 1360 to 1000 BC. Avery and Close-Brooks re-interpreted the evidence in 1969 and suggested the houses had double rings of upright roof supporting posts which had previously been considered an Iron Age tradition and not one already well established by the Middle Bronze Age.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-453117

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 64014 98574

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002766 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 01:22:48.

End of official listing