Slight univallate hillfort in Dunmere Wood 235m WNW of Crabb's Pool

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1004424

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1956

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Slight univallate hillfort in Dunmere Wood 235m WNW of Crabb's Pool
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004424 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:02:39.

Location

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lanivet

National Grid Reference: SX 05070 68650

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Slight univallate hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes, generally between 1ha and 10ha in size, situated on or close to hilltops and defined by a single line of earthworks, the scale of which is relatively small. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth - fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to their abandonment or reconstruction. Slight univallate hillforts have generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a rampart, narrow level berm, external ditch and counterscarp bank, while access to the interior is usually provided by two entrances comprising either simple gaps in the earthwork or an inturned rampart. Postholes revealed by excavation indicate the occasional presence of portal gateways while more elaborate features like overlapping ramparts and outworks are limited to only a few examples. Internal features included timber or stone round houses; large storage pits and hearths; scattered postholes, stakeholes and gullies; and square or rectangular buildings supported by four to six posts, often represented by postholes, and interpreted as raised granaries. Slight univallate hillforts are rare with around 150 examples recorded nationally. Although on a national scale the number is low, in Devon they comprise one of the major classes of hillfort. As a rare type of hillfort they are also important for understanding the transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age communities. Despite having been covered in woodland, the slight univallate hillfort in Dunmere Wood 235m west of Crabb's Pool survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, function, longevity, territorial and strategic significance, social organisation, trade, agricultural practices, domestic arrangements and overall landscape context.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a slight univallate hillfort, situated on the upper south eastern slopes of a prominent hill, and at the top of the steep western valley side of the River Camel. The hillfort survives as an oval enclosure measuring approximately 180m long by 135m wide defined by a single rampart bank of steep profile and up to 3m high and a rock cut outer ditch of up to 2m deep with near vertical sides in several places. There is a slightly inturned causewayed entrance to the north west. Within the interior, two slight hollows to the SSE may be terraces for houses or charcoal burning platforms. Known locally as 'Dunmere Camp', it was marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1813 and first recorded by Maclauchlan in 1849. It belonged to the Priory of Bodmin in the medieval period and was already covered in woodland at that time. The placename 'Dun' means fort.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-431336

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: CO 429

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing