This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Part of the mining complex associated with Marriott's Shaft once part of South Wheal Francis tin and copper mine

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Part of the mining complex associated with Marriott's Shaft once part of South Wheal Francis tin and copper mine

List entry Number: 1005441

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Carn Brea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: CO 953

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The part of the mining complex associated with Marriott's Shaft, which once formed part of South Wheal Francis tin and copper mine, was renowned as one of the best equipped in Cornwall and formed part of a vastly important industry which had a major economic, social and political impact not only in Cornwall and England, but more widely. Developments in technology and changes in economic viability of minerals causing closures which prompted the migration of miners who took with them the experience and innovations derived form the industry, thus having world wide significance. Such a fine surviving example of the range of industrial buildings associated with this industry is extremely rare and important.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes part of the mining complex associated with Marriott's Shaft, which was once part of South Wheal Francis Mine, situated to the north of Four Lanes and to the south of Carn Brea. The complex survives as a series of five roofless buildings, one with a chimney; an ore bin; and the area between these structures. The western building is the crusher house with associated rock crusher station and ore bin and survives as a rectangular-plan building measuring 8.4m by 5.1m and up to 5m high. It once housed a 16 inch Tangye horizontal engine which powered the rock crushing machinery and was built in 1897. The rock crusher station and ore bin was constructed in the late 1890's. It is a rectangular structure with a sloped west side and to the east is stepped and has a V-shaped hollow. To the east is the compressor house which measures 16.8m long by 9.4m wide and up to 8m high and is of two storeys. It formerly housed a Fraser and Chalmers engine on the first floor which was used to power as many as 30 rock drills. There are many windows and tunnels or conduits which pierce the foundations. The pump engine house was built in 1897 to replace one destroyed by fire in 1885. It measures 15.9m long by 11.8m wide and up to 16.5m high. Although designed to hold two engines, only one was eventually installed. The chimney stack stands within the adjoining boiler house. The pump engine house has a large arched entrance with a circular window above and further arched windows. The boiler house measures 26.3m by 17.5m and is up to 9m high. It is characterised by numerous arched doorways and a chimney. It originally held four high pressure Lancashire boilers but a further two were later added, and it provided all the steam generation needs for the entire complex. The winding house to the south measures 18.9m by 14.4m and up to 9.5m high. The Holman compound winding engine was housed on the first floor. The building was constructed in 1888.

South Wheal Francis was originally a copper mine and is first documented in 1823-4. It re-opened in 1834 and started to produce tin in 1852. It reached its peak of production from 1844 to 1895 when 67866 tons of copper ore and 9716 tons of black tin were extracted. Amalgamated with Wheal Bassett in 1895 and then called 'The Bassett Mines Ltd', the mine closed in 1918. It was one of the best equipped mines in Cornwall.

The buildings are all Listed Grade II (66700, 66701, 66702, 66704 and 66706).

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-1473693, 1213767, 1213762, 1213744, 1213750, 1213756 and 425778

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW6805739381

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 05:06:04.

End of official listing