List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Stationers' Hall
List entry Number: 1005549
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: Greater London Authority
District: City and County of the City of London
District Type: London Borough
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 07-Jan-1952
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: LO 42
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Stationers’ Hall, 30m north-east of the Guild Church of St Martin-within-Ludgate.
Reasons for Designation
A livery hall is a type of guildhall belonging primarily to the London livery companies (chartered companies originating from the craft guilds), but also found elsewhere in the country. It is so called because of the livery worn by members of the guild. Guildhalls were traditionally the hall of a crafts, trade, or merchants’ guild but latterly had many different functions and became recognised in the 19th century as town halls. Some livery or guild halls were built in the medieval period but they became more widespread in the 17th and 18th centuries. The classic form was often a first-floor meeting room, raised on arcades, incorporating an open-sided market hall on the ground floor. They also often included administrative rooms or offices. During the eighteenth century increasing architectural elaboration was given to halls, reflecting the success of livery companies, the growth of municipal self-awareness and urban identity. Until the Municipal Corporations Reform Act in 1835, boroughs (corporations), which were often based at guildhalls, acted as private bodies that existed for the benefit of their members rather than the community at large. The Act reformed the administration and accountability of incorporated boroughs and they subsequently gained greater municipal power and responsibility. This was reflected in the scale and architectural adornment of later guildhalls, which became high points of Victorian public architecture.
Despite later alterations and restoration, Stationers’ Hall is a fine example of a late 17th century livery hall, which survives well. It will also retain archaeological information about the mansion house of Lord Abergavenny. It is a significant testament to the development of commercial activity and trade regulation in the City of London.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 25 September 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a late 17th century livery hall, altered in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. It is situated between Amen Court and Ludgate Hill, near St Paul’s Cathedral in the City of London.
The main front to Amen Court, was refaced by Robert Mylne in 1800. It is constructed of Portland stone with four round-arched windows and an arched doorway, a cornice and parapet. There is a second, lower entrance to the basement. Behind the Amen Court frontage, the hall buildings are disposed around a central courtyard. These include the hall-block, a single storey building on the east side, the Court Room, a three storey building on the north side, and the Storehouses, a single storey to the west. The Guild Church of St Martin-within-Ludgate completes the south side of the quadrangle. A later wing projects to the east from the north end of the hall-block, backing onto Stationers’ Hall Court, and is not included in the scheduling. The walls of the hall-block have a chalk core to the lower parts and are of brick above; the other buildings are of brick with some Portland stone dressings and the roofs are covered with tiles and slate. The walls of the basement of the Hall are thought to contain surviving masonry of an earlier house of Lord Abergavenny.
The Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers (better known as the Stationers’ Company) were formed in 1403 and gained a Royal Charter in 1557. It was responsible for copying and selling manuscript books and writing materials, as well as enforcing copyright regulations until about 1695. The company purchased the mansion house of Lord Abergavenny on the current site in 1606. It was burnt down in the Great Fire of London and the current hall was built on the site in about 1670. The Court Room was added in 1748 and alterations were carried out in about 1800, 1885 and in 1952.
Stationers’ Hall is Grade I listed. The Roman and medieval remains of London Wall on the west side of the site are included in a separate scheduling.
The Stationers’ and Newspaper Makers’ Company. Url: http://www.stationers.org/ , accessed from http://www.stationers.org/
NMR TQ38SW838. PastScape 405361. LBS 199293,
National Grid Reference: TQ 31816 81206
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005549 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 09:35:07.
End of official listing