Medieval enclosure 480m north west of Springwater Farm

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1006998
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1951
Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Medieval enclosure 480m north west of Springwater Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006998 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:48:42.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
District:
South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bitton
National Grid Reference:
ST6827569686

Reasons for Designation

Despite partial excavation, the medieval enclosure 480m north west of Springwater Farm will retain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, function, longevity, agricultural activity, relationship to the likely associated medieval dwellings and overall landscape context.

Details

The monument includes a medieval enclosure, situated on a slight rise in the valley bottom of the River Boyd, just north of its confluence with the River Avon. The enclosure survives as a rectangular area defined by banks measuring up to 1m high to the north, west and east with a largely buried outer ditch and slight counterscarp bank. To the south it the enclosure survives as largely buried features. The interior measures approximately 70m long by 30m wide. The slightly rounded corners of the enclosure, visible to the north west and north east, suggested this was perhaps a Roman camp, but partial excavations in 1952 produced only finds of 13th century date. An archaeological watching brief in 1998 provided no further traces of occupation, and a geophysical survey of 2002 suggested that the enclosure was part of a larger earthwork, possibly a pair of medieval tenements which fronted onto Bitton High Street.

Sources: PastScape 200847 South Gloucestershire 1245, 16358 and 12655

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
SG 86
Legacy System:
RSM - OCN

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].