Moated site south of The Hall
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1009198
Date first listed: 04-Mar-1953
Date of most recent amendment: 20-Jan-1993
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009198 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 01:19:08.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)
Parish: Newbold Verdon
National Grid Reference: SK 44184 03751
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Newbold Verdon survives in good condition despite infilling of one arm of the moat. The moat island will contain evidence of the development of the manor house and associated buildings.
The moated site at Newbold Verdon is situated on the western edge of the
village less than 100m from St James's Church. A post-medieval hall is
situated a few metres to the north of the site.
The moated area measures 90 x 100m overall and encloses a square island measuring 65 x 65m on the west, south and east sides with an infilled northern arm. The three arms of the moat are an average of 10m wide and are mostly water-filled with the exception of the northern parts of the western and eastern arms. The outer bank on the southern and western sides is up to 1m high and 6-8m wide.
A small excavation in 1981 suggested that the northern infilled arm was still in existence when the hall to the north was built for Nathaniel Crew, 3rd Baron Crew of Stene, Bishop of Durham in about 1680. Finds of medieval roof tile indicate the remains of a manor house located within the island.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 17062
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Harding, M, 'Transactions of the Leicestershire Arch and Historical Society' in Excavation of the Moated Site at Newbold Verdon, , Vol. 56, (1981)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing