This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Hob's Moat, 60m north of Castle Lane

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Hob's Moat, 60m north of Castle Lane

List entry Number: 1014043

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Solihull

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 16-Oct-1936

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21614

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.



Hob's Moat survives well and displays a wide range of characteristics associated with this class of monument, including evidence for a causeway and an internal bank. The moat ditches have silted naturally and will retain both artefactual and environmental evidence for the occupation of the site and the economy of its inhabitants. Part excavation has indicated that the moated island retains structural evidence for the house which originally existed here. The adjacent section of hollow way is clearly associated with the occupation of Hob's Moat and it illustrates the wider setting of the moated site. As a monument which is open to the public, Hob's Moat serves as a valuable educational resource and public amenity.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



The monument is situated on the north facing slope of a low hill within the outskirts of Solihull and includes a moated site, known as Hob's Moat, and the earthwork remains of a section of a hollow way. The moated site has external dimensions of approximately 137m north to south and 115m east to west. The steep sided moat ditches are dry and measure up to 15m wide and 2.5m deep. External banks are visible on all four sides of the moated site and, although the northern and eastern banks have been lowered, they can be traced on the ground surface. The banks are approximately 12m wide at their base and have an average height of 1.8m. The moated island is 0.5ha in area and slopes gradually from south to north. There is an internal enclosure bank on the west, north and east sides of the island, running parallel to the moat ditches; its height is greatest at the corners. An excavation across a section of the inner bank in 1985 provided evidence for the bank's construction; deposits of stony clay mounded up over a sandy gravel core. A second bank was located beneath the inner one which consists of a sandy bank revetted on either side by bands of cobbles set in clay. This feature is earlier in date than the inner bank and employs a different construction technique. An excavation in the southern half of the moated island has indicated that the structures which originally occupied the island will survive as buried features. The remains of a small structure, bounded by walls set within shallow foundation slots, were located during the excavation. A number of fragments of 13th century pottery were also recovered. Access onto the moated island is by means of a causeway midway along the eastern moat ditch. This corresponds with an adjacent break in the inner bank and is considered to be an original entrance. A second break in the bank is visible approximately 25m to the north of the causeway. An excavation within this break has recovered evidence for a collapsed sandstone wall, and suggested a late 13th century date for its construction. The remains of the wall had been overlaid by an area of cobbling, approximately 2m square, and this was thought to represent the base of a structure situated on the inside edge of the break in the bank. There is a third gap in the inner bank at the north eastern corner of the moated site which is thought to be an original feature which allowed water to drain from the moated island itself into the moat. Immediately alongside the northern side of Hob's Moat are the earthwork remains of a hollow way. It is medieval in origin and is thought to have run westwards to connect Hob's Moat with Castle Lane, which is mentioned in a documentary record of 1339 and runs to the west and south of the moated site. The hedgerow which defines the northern side of the hollow way has been the subject of a species count which has indicated that it may be c.650 years old and, therefore, contemporary with the earliest references to Castle Lane. The visible earthworks of the hollow way are included in the scheduling in order to preserve the relationship between this feature and the moated site itself. Hob's Moat is traditionally associated with the Odinsells family, from whom its name is derived, and the evidence from archaeological excavation indicates that it was occupied until the end of the 13th or the early 14th century.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pemberton, R, The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire: Olton, (1905), 395
Gathercole, P W, 'Tranactions of Birmingham Archaeological & Historical Society' in An Excavation At Hob's Moat, Olton, , Vol. 73, (1957), 118-119
Nicholls, P S, 'West Midlands Archaeological Newsletter' in Hob's Moat, Solihull, , Vol. 13, (1986), 23
Nicholls, P S, 'West Midlands Archaeological Newsletter' in Hob's Moat, Solihull, , Vol. 13, (1986), 22
Nicholls, P S, 'West Midlands Archaeological Newsletter' in Hob's Moat, Solihull, , Vol. 13, (1986), 21

National Grid Reference: SP 14622 82591

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014043 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 12:14:49.

End of official listing