This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Circular enclosure 300m north east of Forest Field

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Circular enclosure 300m north east of Forest Field

List entry Number: 1018360

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Belton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 04-Mar-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Nov-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 30244

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Slight univallate hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes, generally between 1ha and 10ha in size, situated on or close to hilltops and defined by a single line of earthworks, the scale of which is relatively small. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth - fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to their abandonment or reconstruction. Slight univallate hillforts have generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a rampart, narrow level berm, external ditch and counterscarp bank, while access to the interior is usually provided by two entrances comprising either simple gaps in the earthwork or an inturned rampart. Postholes revealed by excavation indicate the occasional presence of portal gateways while more elaborate features like overlapping ramparts and outworks are limited to only a few examples. Internal features included timber or stone round houses; large storage pits and hearths; scattered postholes, stakeholes and gullies; and square or rectangular buildings supported by four to six posts, often represented by postholes, and interpreted as raised granaries. Slight univallate hillforts are rare with around 150 examples recorded nationally. Although on a national scale the number is low, in Devon they comprise one of the major classes of hillfort. In other areas where the distribution is relatively dense, for example, Wessex, Sussex, the Cotswolds and the Chilterns, hillforts belonging to a number of different classes occur within the same region. Examples are also recorded in eastern England, the Welsh Marches, central and southern England. In view of the rarity of slight univallate hillforts and their importance in understanding the transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age communities, all examples which survive comparatively well and have potential for the recovery of further archaeological remains are believed to be of national importance.

The remains of the circular hilltop enclosure 300m north east of Forest Field survive particularly well as a series of substantial and largely undisturbed earthworks and buried features. The waterlogged nature of the eastern side of the ditch will ensure the preservation of organic deposits relating to the construction and use of the site. The enclosure represents a particularly unusual survival in an area of otherwise intensive arable cultivation. As a result of the recovery of pottery from the central platform, the ditch enclosing it and the surrounding fields, the remains are quite well understood and will provide a good insight into the use and adaptation of the site over a period of time.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of a small Iron Age defended enclosure situated on the summit of a hill approximately 300m north east of Forest Field.

The enclosure comprises a ditch defining an asymmetric, curvilinear platform measuring approximately 100m east to west and 80m north to south. The ditch is a maximum of 8m in width and 1.5m in depth, with a `U'-shaped profile. It is waterlogged on its eastern side. A slight mound on the outer edge of the north western rim of the ditch is considered to represent the remains of a counterscarp bank. The orientation of the earthwork in relation to the road, the layout of adjacent field boundaries, and erosion to the north western side of the ditch and counterscarp all suggest that the original entrance was located on this side. There are also barely discernible traces of an intermittent bank on the inner edge of the ditch, probably comprising spoil from its exacavation or re-cutting. The internal platform enclosed by the ditch also shows evidence of subsequent medieval cultivation in the form of very faint ridge and furrow.

A small trench excavated on the platform in 1954 recovered predominantly Iron Age and Roman pottery, in addition to broken roof slates of probable post-medieval date. Fieldwalking immediately east of the monument in 1978 recovered two further Iron Age pot sherds and a large quantity of Roman material. The base of a `Beehive' quern used for grinding grain of Iron Age date was also recovered from the ditch. The finds suggest that the enclosure was initially constructed in the Iron Age, remaining in use through the Roman period with its internal platform being used for cultivation in the medieval period.

All fences and field hedges are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Liddle, P, Leicestershire Archaeology: The Present State of Knowledge, (1982)
Department of Antiquities, , 'Trans. of Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society' in Belton 451200, , Vol. 30, (1954)
Other
Leicestershire Museums Service, Site Summary Sheet: 42 SE.P,
Moore, J, (1997)
Tarver, Anne, SK 4520, Trans. of Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society, (1977)
Title: Plan of Titheable Part of Belton Source Date: 1852 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: SK 45171 19984

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018360 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 10:28:25.

End of official listing