This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL ATTACHED TO THE TABERNACLE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL ATTACHED TO THE TABERNACLE

List entry Number: 1021542

Location

FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL ATTACHED TO THE TABERNACLE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Trowbridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 313914

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH STREET 1. 5411 (North Side) Former Sunday School attached to the Tabernacle ST 8558 5/8B II GV 2. Dated 1882. Architects: Paull and Bonella; builder: William Smith. Tudor collegiate. 2 storeys. Dressed and snecked rubble on projecting plinth and with crenellation to leftover doorway. Leaded mullion and transom windows with moulded 4 centre arch heads and straight drip over. Moulded eaves cornice with zoomorphic corbels to crenellated part and wall chimney between 1st and 2nd windows from right; stack stepped above eaves with 2 octagonal shafts having moulded capping. Low pitched tiled roof. 2 rainwater heads to 1st floor dated 1882 and ground floor 1883. 3 ranges of paired windows. Quatrefoil vents in plinth and over ground floor. Doorway to left with Tudor arch, high stopped moulded chamfer on jambs and tall drip with moulded diamond stops; 12 panel door. Memorial stones flanking doorway dated 1882 and a 2-light window above doorway. Extension to west with a pair of 3-light windows to ground floor and a lancet above with drip mould having zoomorphic stops. Corbelled chimney in corner with octagonal shaft. Crenellated break to left, also with doorway, related to vestries etc.

Former Sunday School former 'Institute' to east, The Tabernacle United Reformed Church and related structures form a group with Nos 24 to 26 (consec) and 2 and 3 Tabernacle Cottages.

Listing NGR: ST8557058197

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 85570 58197

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021542 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2018 at 07:42:07.

End of official listing