WEST LODGE AND ENTRANCE GATES TO GRITTLETON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1022309
Date first listed:
29-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
WEST LODGE AND ENTRANCE GATES TO GRITTLETON HOUSE, YATTON KEYNELL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST LODGE AND ENTRANCE GATES TO GRITTLETON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022309 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 23:01:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST LODGE AND ENTRANCE GATES TO GRITTLETON HOUSE, YATTON KEYNELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Grittleton
National Grid Reference:
ST 85861 79975

Details

GRITTLETON YATTON KEYNELL ROAD ST 87 NE

7/62 West Lodge and entrance gates to Grittleton House

GV II

Entrance lodge and gates to Grittleton House, 1854-5 by H. Clutton for Joseph Neeld of Grittleton. Lodge is of small ashlar blocks with stone slate roof, moulded coped gables with finials and large north wall outside stack. 1½ storey, T-plan, picturesque Tudor style, ovolo-moulded stone-mullion windows with arched heads to lights and deep hoodmoulds. High moulded base, dripcourse over ground floor and across west and south gables. West gable has ground floor 3-light mullion-and-transom window, first floor 2- light with dripcourse stepped over and apex roundel. South gable is similar but with ground floor 2-light and east side-wall stack. In south west angle is octagonal porch tower with dripcourses carried around, ground floor Tudor-arched doorway, now window, first floor very small arched stair lights and free-standing octagonal top-stage with intersecting circle tracery to square west and south lights and stone slated octagonal spire. East end gable has similar details at gable level, and C20 extension attached. Entrance screen railings and gates run south, the railings each side on low coped wall, with spear heads and dog-bars. The gates are of extremely ornate wrought iron between four ashlar piers with column-shafts let into angles and concave-curved octagonal caps with cast-iron finials. Taller piers to centre double gates, smaller piers each side. Double gates and pedestrian gates each side have ornate foliate scroll motifs and centre flowers, the double gates, when closed have a large circular motif with 'Succede/Libens/Invitus/Excedas' in border. Design is apparently a modification by H. Clutton of the plan of the Malmesbury Lodge (q.v.) by J. Thomson, with altered elevations. Accounts for 1855 record fixing of gates, apparently made by T. Potter & Son. (Wiltshire Record Office, 1305/83)

Listing NGR: ST8586179975

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315873
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11082/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].