CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1024021
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024021 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 02:49:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Orcheston
National Grid Reference:
SU 05981 44894

Details

ORCHESTON ORCHESTON ST. GEORGE SU 04 SE (east side) 3/172 Church of St. George GV II* Anglican parish church, now redundant. C13 with late C15 chancel, C12 north doorway ,restorations of 1833 and 1858. Flint and limestone, ashlar tower, tiled roof with coped verges. Consists of west tower, nave, chancel and north porch. C19 gabled porch has Welsh slate roof, Tudor-arched door and cusped lancet above, side walls have Tudor-arched windows. To left of porch, nave has cross window with pointed head, to right of porch is 2-light C16 window with cusped lights. Roof of nave probably raised 1833; dentilled brick eaves cornice. Chancel has chamfered pointed door in centre of north side, to left is Tudor-arched window and to light is C13 cusped lancet, string course at eaves level, battlemented parapet to shallow-pitched roof. East window is 3-light C16-style with cusped lights. South side chancel has one Tudor-arched light and one C13 cusped lancet. South side nave has one 3-light C16-style window and one 2-light C16-style window either side, all with hoodmoulds. 2-stage west tower is square with diagonal buttresses, Tudor-arched west door has hollow-chamfered jambs and carved spandrels, above is deeply recessed 2-light Perpendicular window with C19 tracery, hoodmould and grotesque beasts carved as terminals, string course to bell stage; single C16 window to each face, battlemented parapet and pyramidal tiled roof. Interior: Romanesque inner doorway has shafts with scalloped capitals. Nave has flat ceiling, probably inserted in C18. Chancel arch is double-chamfered with hollow-chamfering. Pointed arch to tower at west end, has fine cusped panelling to intrados. Most of fittings date from 1858 restoration by T H Wyatt, including pews, pulpit and altar screen, C15-style font of 1833, 1636 Royal Arms on south wall of nave, south wall of chancel has 1830 hatchment, probably of Rev. C.B.P.Lowther; a marble memorial to him, by Reeves of Bath is on same wall. C17 and C18 memorials includes brass in nave to John Elderton died 1695. Several classical tablets, including marble in nave to John Shittler, died 1861, signed by Lewis of Cheltenham, large Gothic wall memorial on south side of nave to Stephen Mills, died 1857, signed by Osmond of Sarum. Some good late C19 stained and painted glass, such as east window of 1888 and others in nave and chancel by Jones and Willis. (N Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975; Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury)

Listing NGR: SU0598144894

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319808
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10587/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].