This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1024327



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Honington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305885

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HONINGTON SP2642 10/122 Honington Hall and attached 02/09/52 gateways, walls and temple (Formerly listed as Honnington Hall with stables, pigeoncote and other ancillary buildings and gates on Village Green)


Country house. Built for Sir Henry Parker c.1685. Later alterations and additions for Joseph Townsend c.1730-40. East front; red brick with rusticated limestone quoins. Hipped slate roof with ball finials. Brick ridge, end and lateral stacks with moulded stone tops. 2 storeys plus attics; 7-window range. 2:3:2 bays. Double-pile plan. Central entrance block with slightly advanced side wings. Entrance has a moulded wood doorcase with Corinthian columns, broken segmental pediment with swags, cartouche with the arms of the Townsend family and glazed door. 6 sashes to ground floor have glazing bars, stone cased surrounds, keystoned heads and cornices. Above the ground floor windows are round headed niches containing busts of Roman emperors. 7 sashes to first floor have stone cased surrounds, glazing bars and limestone heads. 4 roof dormers. Bracketed wooden eaves cornice. Attached to left and right are rusticated and pedimented limestone gateways of 1744 with wrought-iron overthrows and gates. Attached to the right gateway is a brick quadrant wall with pilasters, blank niches and triglyph frieze. North front: 6-window range. Entrance to left has moulded wood surround and apsed hood, carved with cherubs head, flowers and leaves. South front: loggia and sreps added c.1744 for Joseph Townsend. West front: wide canted bay to the octagonal saloon added c.1745. Temple. Limestone. Portico with 6 Tuscan columns and triglyph frieze with ram's heads. Interior: central entrance hall. Side wings: to north containing the Dining Room and the Magistrate's Room now kitchens, to south containing the Oak Room or Drawing Room with a Boudoir behind it. Domed octagonal Saloon of c.1745 built projecting from main west front. Space between Saloon and Hall made into a lobby with north and south 2-bay colonnades dividing it from the side chambers. The south side chamber contains an open well staircase of c.1745 with open iron-work balustrades. C17 dog-leg staircase with turned balusters in north side chamber. Interior decoration mostly dates from c.1740's, including ornamental plasterwork attributed to Charles Stanley. Hall has a stone and marble fireplace and overmantle with plaster relief, Venus appearing to Aeneus. Relief on south wall, Hector saying Farewell to Andromache. Doors have entablatures with armorini. Ornate plaster ceiling. The Oak Room is lined with bolection-moulded panelling and has a pedimented doorcase with amorini possibly of 1750's, Fireplace of c.1745. Boudoir has fine plaster ceiling relief of Flora. Saloon, lavishly treated, has coffered dome with painting attributed to Ballucci. Rococco garlands down angles of the wall. Classical style fireplaces and doorcases in Kentian manner. Lobby to rear of Hall is sumptuously decorated with Rococco ceiling motifs and thick garlands in spandrels. Chinese closet on first floor has rare painted leather wall panels, small late C17 corner fireplace and plaster ceiling cornice. Noted as a gem of late C17 house (Pevsner). 'V.C.H.: Warwickshire, 1949, Vol.V, p.93; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, pp.313-4; English Homes, Period V, Vol.I, pp.201-280; Country Life: Honington Hall by John Cornforth, September 21st 1978, September 28th 1978 and October 12th 1978).

Listing NGR: SP2608442687

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 93
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 313-4
'Country Life' in 12 October, (1978)
'Country Life' in 21 September, (1978)
Avray Tipping, H, 'English Homes' in Period 5 Early Georgian 1714-1760, , Vol. 1, (), 201-280
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 42 Warwickshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 26084 42687


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2018 at 03:21:15.

End of official listing