CHURCH OF ST THOMAS THE MARTYR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1024952

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Mar-1998

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS THE MARTYR, BARRAS BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS THE MARTYR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024952 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 22:05:12.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS THE MARTYR, BARRAS BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 24877 64909

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2464 NE 1833/16/84

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BARRAS BRIDGE (South end) Church of St Thomas The Martyr

14.06.54

GV II* Extra-parochial peculiar church. 1825-30 by John Dobson. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof. Aisled nave clasping west tower; shallow chancel with north and south porches. Modified Early English style. Wrought iron gates to west porch in tower with cross-ribbed vault and high arches to aisles and nave. 4-stage tower has high moulded west arch, with triple nook shafts flanked by blind lancets under pierced sloping parapets. Double flying buttresses to second stage with blind arcade; clock in low third stage. Tall, empty 2-light belfry openings. Pierced parapet with corner spirelets in octagonal buttresses, and centre-side pinnacles. Lancet windows, paired in 5-bay nave and triple with shafts in east front; tall pinnacles on buttreses, angle at corners.

INTERIOR has plaster above wainscotting; ribbed cross vaults to nave and aisles on slender quatrefoil piers. Galleries on 3 sides, the west containing 1837, organ inserted in 1960. East glass 1881; other C19 glass in north aisle. White marble memorial to Robert Wasney died 1836 by C. Tate - woman standing ' beside altar. Battle honours of 1899-1902 in South Africa War and 1914-1918 in Great War, of 6th Northumberland Fusiliers, framed at east end of north aisle. Historical note: built by the Trustees of the St. Mary Magdalene and Holy Jesus Hospitals to replace the medieval chapel at the end of Tyne Bridge.



Listing NGR: NZ2487764909

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304386

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing